Liverpool edge out Chelsea on penalties to win 2019 UEFA Super Cup

Burnley vs Liverpool


Liverpool’s goalkeeper Adrian was the hero after he saved Tammy Abraham’s penalty kick to win 2019 UEFA Super cup for Liverpool. They beat Chelsea 5-4 on a penalty shootout after a richly engaging match in Istanbul ended 2-2 at the end of 120 minutes.

All the penalties in the shootout were converted before Mohamed Salah took the fifth kick for Liverpool, which he also scored. However, substitute Tammy Abraham had his kick saved by Adrian with his feet.

It is Liverpool’s fourth Super Cup win. The last victory was in 2005 after beating AC Milan in Istanbul; a match regarded as the greatest comeback in the history of UEFA Champions League final.

Liverpool have now won 13 European trophies in all. Their supporters couldn’t want anything more than to return to the banks of the Bosphorus for the final of this current season’s Champions League.

Sadio Mane had earlier scored for Liverpool, cancelling Olivier Giroud’s first-half goal to push the match to extra time after ending 1-1 at 90 minutes. Afterwards, the Senegalese forward scored again to put Jurgen Klopp’s side in front, on the 95th minute.

However, it was maybe unavoidable that French official Stephanie Frappart would be involved in the result of the game.

She is the first female referee to officiate major men’s game in European competition. Frappart gave Chelsea a penalty when Abraham went down under contact from Adrian. Jorginho, whose name was wrongly spelled on the back of his shirt, converted the spot-kick.

The Italian midfielder also scored in the shootout. However, there would be no first trophy as Chelsea mentor for Frank Lampard, who lost the Super Cup twice with the club as a player, including a loss on penalties against Bayern Munich six years ago.

N’Golo Kante was considered fit to play in the last minutes after a being injured for a while.
Olivier Giroud was the first choice striker, and Christian Pulisic made his full debut. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain made his first start for Liverpool in 16 months in the wake of recuperating from a knee injury. The England international was replaced at half-time by Roberto Firmino.

Chelsea had played better in the opening 45 minutes, with Pedro Rodriguez slamming a shot off the bar halfway through the first half before Adrian spared at the feet of Mateo Kovacic.

The opening goal came in the 36th moment after Kante found Pulisic with his pass and the American drawing a few red shirts towards him before feeding Giroud to score first-time.

Soon after that, Pulisic thought he had made it 2-0, yet his brilliant finish was ruled out for offside by Frappart.

The introduction of Firmino early in the second half helped change things totally toward the beginning of the second 45 minutes, and within a few minutes, Liverpool drew level.

The Brazilian thumped the ball into the way of Mane, who slotted home from close range, although Kepa got a glove to it. Mount, who came on from the bench alongside Abraham, quickly thought he had reestablished Chelsea’s lead late on but his strike was denied.

In the 95th minute of extra time, to the joy of the home crowd, who were for the most part supporting the Champions League winner, Liverpool went up 2-1.

Mane found Firmino close to the byline and after that lashed onto the Brazilian’s cutback and fired the ball home.

However, in the 101st minutes of the extra time, Jorginho converted from the spot to push the game to a penalty shootout.

Author: Cossy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *