Liverpool move closer to winning the Premier League title after beating Man City 3-1 at Anfield

Liverpool took an important step towards a first Premier League crown in 30 years, beating Manchester City 3-1 at Anfield on Sunday.
The win restored Liverpool’s eight-point lead at the top of the Premier League table.
Two goals from Fabinho and Mohamed Salah in the first 13 minutes gave the European champions a dream start before a second-half diving header from Sadio Mane to seal the victory for the host.
Although Bernardo Silva pulled a late goal back, a third defeat in eight league games leaves City fourth on the table. City are now nine points behind Liverpool, and with a huge mountain to climb if they are to defend the league title.
Man City’s defence has been thrown open without the injured Aymeric Laporte this season, and they could not stop the home side as Liverpool scored with their first two attacks of the afternoon.
However, the visitors were not happy with some decisions at the move that led to the first goal when a dangerous attack into the Liverpool area ended with the ball hitting Trent Alexander-Arnold’s arm.
Instead of City getting a penalty, the hosts launched an attack on the other end, and the ball fell to Fabinho on the edge of the box. The Brazilian fired a strike beyond the reach of Claudio Bravo.
City had their chances to get level in between Liverpool’s early goals when Raheem Sterling could not head home Kevin De Bruyne’s in-swinging free-kick.
Meanwhile, Liverpool, who were ruthless as a pinpoint cross by Andy Robertson, was headed home on the bounce by Mo Salah.
The visitors still went on to dominate the play for the rest of the first half, but the damage was already done.
Alisson Becker denied Sergio Aguero his first goal at Anfield by a smart save before a burst forward by Angelino saw his deflected shot hit the woodwork.
Moments later, Aguero could not convert City’s best chance of a reply before the break after great work by De Bruyne.
City’s hope of a comeback was dashed six minutes into the second half when Jordan Henderson’s perfect cross was met with a diving header by Sadio Mane, who put the ball beyond the goalkeeper.
The visitors pulled one back 12 minutes from the time when Bernardo Silva swept home Angelino’s cross.
Despite being camped in their own half, Liverpool held on to grab all the points, which could be vital come May.

Author: Cossy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *